quarta-feira, 13 de agosto de 2008

Food for Thought

Two dramatic questions occupy my mind here in Pittsburgh. What should I teach? Should I buy nice kitchen utensils? I think I need nice kitchen utensils. After all, I will eat out of them for almost an entire year. There are many books on Brazil in English. I am atordoada with them, but I know that eventualy they will form a lively flow of stories, just like in my previous courses.

I was in Pittsburgh once, but it was dark and I didn't notice it much. I was in the company of friends and family, and it's them, in the end, that we remember.

I am in a country I know well, teaching about a country I know little about. The country I know little about - Brazil is not for beginners, the books say - is my country and I believe I miss it. I believe I miss it, for how can one be sure of feelings when they first arrive?

2 comentários:

Felipe Pait disse...

Acho que você quis dizer "a country I know a little about", um país sobre o qual você sabe um pouco, o Brasil. Não um país sobre o qual você sabe pouco.

Para falar a verdade, voltando de viagem não concordo que o Brasil seja um país especialmente complicado. Nenhum é. O que as pessoas querem é a mesma coisa: comida, descanso, e diversão, nesta ordem de prioridade. O resto é detalhe....

Helô disse...

Quis dizer que voce pode viver e conhecer visceralmente um pais, mas na hora de explicar eh complicado. Claro, o basicao eh igual mesmo, mas e o resto?